UN council warns Rwanda it will pull out U.N. troops.
lba0000020011120dq4600wyo
By Evelyn Leopold
440 Mots
06 Avril 1994
Reuters News
Anglais
(c) 1994 Reuters Limited

UNITED NATIONS, April 5 (Reuter) - The Security Council Tuesday renewed peacekeeping forces for Rwanda for four months but threatened to close down the U.N. operation if the central African country did not honour last August's peace accords.

In a resolution adopted by a unanimous 15-0 vote, the council said the U.N. Assistance Mission for Rwanda, known as UNIMIR, could not continue unless there was "full and prompt implementation of the Arusha Peace agreement."

The council will review the operation within six weeks after another report from Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali on the agreement, signed in Arusha, Tanzania, that ended a three-year civil war.

The United Nations now has 2,539 military personnel from 24 countries, including 900 from Bangladesh and 440 from Belgium, to enforce a ceasefire between the government, dominated by the majority Hutu ethnic group, and rebels of the Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF), composed of the central African country's former Tutsi rulers.

Close to a million Rwandese had been driven from their homes and at least half a million are now in danger of starvation if food does not arrive quickly.

Under terms of the Arusha agreement, an interim government and a new parliament should have been set up last December. But both have been delayed by political wrangling between the RPF and the government of President Juvenal Habyarimana.

The latest dispute concerned the Coalition for the Defence of the Republic, a rightwing party, which the RPF objects to while the president insists they be in the assembly.

Boutros-Ghali in his latest report said that security had deteriorated over the last six months, with banditry and politically-motivated murders on the increase.

He proposed the Rwandese police be monitored by another 45 U.N. civilian police in addition to current contingent of 60 now in the capital of Kigali.

But the council turned down the 45 monitors until its six-week review. Diplomats said the United States did not want to seen to be strengthening the mission without progress.

Rwanda, at the insistence of France, was the last new peacekeeping mission approved by the council after President Clinton last September said money and resources at the United Nations and the United States were wearing thin.

The council subsequently turned down a request for 100 obnservers in neighbouring Burundi where a bloody civil war between the Hutus and Tutsis sent refugees streaming into Rwanda, further destabilising both countries.

But Council President Colin Keating of New Zealand tol reporters Burundi would be discussed again.

(c) Reuters Limited 1994

Si vous avez besoin d'assistance, allez sur le site Dow Jones Customer Support.

(c) 2009 Factiva, Inc. Tous Droits Réservés.