- In Rwanda the war continues between Hutu and Tutsi. Every day the dead are added to the dead. And now it is in Kigali, the capital, that the next bloodbath is announced.
- Day after day Kigali, the capital of Rwanda, sinks into horror. Again yesterday [May 15], all day, artillery duels claimed new victims.
- According to diplomats, the rebels of the Rwandan Patriotic Front are preparing for new offensives against the government army. The RPF militiamen, who control the North and East of the country, could very soon launch the final assault on the capital.
- 200,000 Rwandans were killed, 500,000 others fled to neighboring countries such as Tanzania.
- For its part, the UN Security Council should vote this week to send additional blue helmets to meet the huge humanitarian needs. The humanitarian mission failing to put an end to the killings.
- For his part, Bernard Kouchner, who arrived in Kigali by the northern route, is trying to set up a humanitarian corridor to evacuate civilians, especially children.
- But yesterday [May 15], after traveling outside the capital to meet the government in exile, his convoy was targeted on the way back. Targets fed by over-excited militiamen left to fend for themselves.