Plusieurs dizaines de milliers de corps, souvent mutilés, ont été retrouvés échoués sur les rives du lac Victoria
- The noose is tightening on Kigali: the airport is now in the hands of the rebels of the Rwandan Patriotic Front.
- Moreover, in Uganda, several tens of thousands of bodies, often mutilated, were found stranded on Lake Victoria.
- Three days of shelling, the RPF rebels got the better of their double target: the airport, and right next to the Kanombe barracks fell without too much resistance. The 3,000 government soldiers preferred to withdraw or simply take refuge under the protection of the Blue Helmets.
- Kanombe barracks is a sinister symbol: that of the presidential guard which, the day after the assassination of President Habyarimana on April 6, launched the hunt for Tutsis and Hutu political opponents. The rest, we know: between 300 and 500,000 dead.
- The guerrillas, on the strength of their first victory in Kigali, intend to take the whole city. But they will have to lead the siege of three other barracks of the Rwandan army.
- The horror of the tragedy is now spreading to neighboring Uganda. More than 10,000 corpses, carried by the rivers, ended their macabre journey in Lake Victoria. It is now the alert and concern on the shores of the largest lake in the world where a major epidemic is feared.