Une rescapée tutsi du camp de Nyarushishi : « On a tué mon bébé qui avait un mois et demi, on a tué l'autre qui avait deux ans, on a tué mon mari. On a tué tout le monde de ma famille ! »
- Three days after the green light from the UN, the Turquoise humanitarian operation is therefore set up in Rwanda. A thousand soldiers have already arrived on the ground to protect civilian populations. But they also discover many mass graves.
- After the surprise and a moment of anxiety, there is joy and above all relief among the civilian population, both Hutu and Tutsi. "There was a moment of tension when we arrived, but it quickly dissipated", explains a French soldier.
- Operation Turquoise began in the south-west of Rwanda in the Cyangugu region and should extend to the north-west and the city of Gisenyi.
- As they advance, the French red berets are informed of the presence of vulnerable Tutsi refugees who need protection. Also as they advance, the soldiers discover the horror: mass graves. Many women and children victims of the murderous madness of Hutu extremists.
- On the diplomatic level, the RPF tones down its criticism of France but reaffirms its desire to continue military operations. The fighting is still raging today in Kigali.
- At the international level six European countries [sic], Italy, Belgium, Portugal, Germany, Denmark, the United Kingdom and Spain say they are ready for a logistical contribution to the French initiative.< br/>
- The Quai d'Orsay is also trying to reactivate the constitution of a United Nations force called "UNAMIR II". France therefore does not intend to remain alone on the ground. Besides, officially Operation Turquoise must precede the arrival of new Blue Helmets. It remains to mobilize the international community.
- I suggest you now listen to the moving testimony of a Tutsi mother, now under the protection of the French soldiers, and who tells what she experienced to our colleague from France Info, Nicolas Poincaré. The Tutsi woman survivor: "Until now it's the only night we've slept. Otherwise we weren't sure who was keeping us. They killed my baby who was a month and a half old, we killed the other one who was two years old, my husband was killed. Everyone in my family was killed! I'm staying with these two children here. The baby's head was hit until the baby died. And when I touched the child, I found he was dead. I left him there. I slipped between the dead. And I went into the bush. The other child was with a servant. We cut it. I saw the head, I saw the trunk. I left very quickly since I wanted to escape. I went into the bush. Luckily I met the two children with whom I am now".